Monday, May 4, 2009

Playsuit LOVE.

PLAYSUITS VINTAGE PHOTOGRAPHY
80's KID PLAYSUIT
Me and my sister in the late 80's

I've had a serious admiration for playsuits every since I was a little girl. I can remember wearing them all the time when I was a kid. I don't recall too many details except that most of them had straps that tied over each shoulder and some with a little smocking at the waste just like the one my sister is wearing in the photo above. At the time, I had no idea (nor did I care) that they had been such a huge trend amongst the women in my grandmothers generation. They came in so many different styles and colors, and some with matching cover up skirts that turned the suits into perfect little dress ensembles! I just love how all the women above look so happy and playful, almost child-like, in such adorable little one piece numbers.

PLAYSUIT- SUMMER '09 WISHLIST
Top Left: Marc by Marc Jacobs, Top Right: New Look, Bottom Left: 3.1 Phillip Lim, Bottom Right: I wish I knew!

I've had my eye on that Marc Jacobs suit ever since I read the most recent issue of Lula Magazine. It's colors are barely even noticeable in the photo, and even still it caught my eyes. I think the most inspiring thing about most of the playsuits that I've seen are that they are all different, all unique in their own way. There are so many variations in length, color, collars, necklines, closures, and basic details. I guess you could say that the same goes for dresses, blouses, pants, and so on, but I think it's refreshing to see a silhouette that has been tucked away for so long. I mean, I realize that playsuits and rompers aren't the most universally flattering garment to wear, but why does it seem like they disappeared completely until now?



No comments:

Post a Comment